Monday, September 10, 2012

These 10 Songs Remind Me Of...

Good Morning and Happy Monday!  I was blessed to be chosen by Stasha to pick this week's Monday Listicle topic of 10 SongsI (Thank You,  Stasha)  I was excited when many of you said it was a fun topic, so I am anxious to see what you chose to write!

Before I'm off spending the week reading about your 10 songs...I'll share with you mine.  And believe me, I know how hard this is to only choose 10!

10 Memorable Songs (in no particular order)

1)  For The Longest Time - Billy Joel - This song reminds me of being a kid.  This was the first a capella song I was introduced to (that I recall, anyway).  My parents are big Billy Joel and a capella fans and both sing.  My brother and I followed suit.  His music and lyrics are well known in our houses.

2)  In Repair - John Mayer - This song reminds me of my early 20's, when I felt lost more than found.  I must have listened to this song on repeat at least 1,000 times as it gave me comfort.  The chorus lyrics are "I'm in repair.  I'm not together but I'm getting there."  It explained me.

3)  Angel From Montgomery - Bonnie Raitt/John Prine - This song reminds me of my dad.  This is the song we would sing almost every evening in the basement.  We each grabbed a microphone and practiced, practiced, practiced.  For what?  I don't know, but we got it perfected enough for us to "perform" it at one of his company picnics one year.  That was fun :)

4)  Jersey Girl - Bruce Springsteen - This song reminds me of being a young child and dancing with my dad.  He would pick me up and hold me on his hip and spin me around and dance while I held onto his neck.  I guess I have always been a "Daddy's Girl".  And because of this particular memory, when I was planning my wedding, I knew what song I would be dancing the "Father and Daughter Dance" to.

5)  My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder - This song will always remind me of the wonderful night I met my soul mate.  I will never forget him nervously practicing the beginning chords of this song, while I helped the rest of the bridal party set up tables and centerpieces for the wedding that was taking place the next day.  You can read more about how Justin and I met here.

6)  You Were Mine - Dixie Chicks - This song reminds me of my best friend for 15 years, Takia, who also sings.  We were in high school when this song came out and decided to record it at one of those little recording studios that you see at amusement parks.  We originally wanted to record Whitney Houston's Heartbreak Hotel, so we rehearsed that once.  We changed our mind to this song and the employees of the studio wouldn't let us rehearse (since we rehearsed another song already).  Well we thought we knew this song well enough to do without rehearsing and although we knew the words...we totally failed the notes!  HAHA!  I still have that cassette tape too, although Takia wanted me to throw it away!

7)  Country Roads - John Denver - This song reminds me of camping with my family as a kid, and also reminds me of my mom.  My mom is a huge John Denver fan and loves the outdoors.  My family and I would always go camping every summer and would sing around the campfire and make s'mores.  It's a fond memory that's close to my heart.  :)

8)  Her Perfect Dream - Justin Skidmore -  <-- Yes, that is my husband and yes he wrote me a song.  Aren't I lucky?  It's an instrumental song, as Jazz is his favorite type of music.  I remember the first time he presented this song to me.  He told me the title and said that it's about me and how I watch "A Baby Story" on TLC every morning because I was obsessed with learning the reality of having and delivering a baby.  I never understood how composers who write instrumental music can give songs such a deep title and meaning, with no lyrics involved... but I took his word for it.  :)

9)  Black Velvet - Alannah Myles - This song reminds me of a bachelorette party in 2009 for my friend, Allison's, wedding I was in.  Allison loves to sing and Karaoke for her bachelorette party was a must.  I always have intentions to sing, but never have the guts to put my name down for the DJ to announce.  Well my good ol' BFF, Takia (mentioned above) put my name in for me and chose this song for me to sing.  Well about 10 seconds into the song I felt like I was a born singer.  I seriously nailed it!  And it was probably one of the proudest moments in my life.  :)

10)  Will You Be There - Michael Jackson - Not your typical favorite MJ song, but this song reminds me of the first time I ever saw the movie Free Willy.  Living on the California coast, I grew to have a great love for any sea life.  When Free Willy came out, I was very inspired by the story and decided to adopt an orca whale.  :)  Later that year we got a little grey and white kitten (I know it's not like a black and white orca, but still), I decided to name her Keiko, after the whale that played Willy in the movie :)


Now click the badge below and head over to Stasha's blog to link up a list of your 10 songs! :)




30 comments:

  1. Good list Sis! I enjoyed reading about Justin's song he wrote for you. I thought he only played and sang music. I always loved Free Willy. I didn't realize you named your cat after it. Thats awesome! Thank you for choosing the topic, I had fun reading yours and writing about my own. Keep up the good writing, I love reading your posts.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... Justin has written a few songs. He's pretty talented, which is why I hope he never gives up music. ;) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Anything Springsteen is an awesome choice! I enjoyed reading your memories that went along with the songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more :) Thanks for stopping by to read and comment :)

      Delete
  3. What a great list, Cassie. Music can attach itself so well to our memories, can't it?

    You chose a great topic for the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is amazing...I couldn't imagine a day without it. :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting! :)

      Delete
  4. The Longest Time made my list, too - I thought my dad was the only one listening to Billy Joel music all the time, but someone else mentioned it, too, so I guess not :) Thanks for picking such a fun topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! Thanks for participating :) I don't know a single person who doesn't like SOME music, so I was anxious to see what kind of music everyone listens to :) We all have great taste :)

      Delete
  5. For The Longest Time reminds me of my childhood too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassie, you sure picked an awesome topic. I think, in some form or another music just speaks to us. love your list and how you have a memory for each song. That's kinda how it is for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Susi! :) Glad you had fun with the topic. I agree with what you say about music speaking to us. "Music" was our wedding theme also. hehe! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Black Velvet is a HARD song to sing - I'm impressed!
    LOVE LOVE LOVE your number one pick, one of my all-time favorites, and You Were Mine makes me weepy.
    GREAT list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Velvet IS a very hard song! I mean I didn't sound like Alannah or anything! haha! But I hit all the notes at least! (some falsetto- but hey, I'm not on American Idol.) Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  8. Country Roads. John Denver was awesome. I put on a CD of his the other day. Was thinking how sad that he died too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. :( He sure did. He was a great singer/songwriter.

      Delete
  9. Black Velvet is such a great song. great list....I gotta go listen to Piano Man: it's been awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes! Piano Man is a great song! Enjoy! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Cassie, how beautiful that your husband wrote you a song. That is so beautiful. Great idea for Listicles! Loved writing my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate. I think I'm pretty lucky. I have the song on cd, but don't know how to blog just the audio file. Hmmm...I'll try that somehow. And thank you! I'm glad you had fun! :)

      Delete
  11. you chose such an awesome list topic! I LOVE Angel from Montgomery and Country Roads. It reminds me of traveling cross ocuntry with my family to visit grandparents back east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Why thank you! Ah...Bonnie Raitt is one of my top 3 favorite singers ever. LOVE her. :) Thanks for the comment and glad you had fun with the list :)

      Delete
  12. Black Velvet! Awesome song! Awesome list! Awesome listicle idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you kindly, Jill! Thank you for the comment! :D

      Delete
  13. I love that Dixie Chicks song! Great list! And great topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Audrey :) Thanks for the comment! Glad you liked the topic! I know I did ;)

      Delete
  14. We have in the past realized most of listicle girls are hard core Dixie Chicks fans so you fit right in. Love the reasons you chose the songs to make the list. Thank you for a wonderful topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's totally awesome! They have great harmonies, so I'm not surprised! :) Thank you for letting me select the topic :) It was surely fun!

      Delete
  15. For the Longest Time.. definitely reminds me of my childhood too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great song, right? :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Share Some Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!